Friday 18 July 2014

Decisions and Dreams

hello internet!
and a welcome for the freshly graduated seniors out there, this is the year full of decisions, and all are yours (except you with a little bit annoying parent in the background) to make.
i know the feeling, of deciding what should I study, where should I go, and what to accept. tho the latter does not happen in my case.
recently I got some questions from my juniors about which to take, or where should they go, and all the norms about university.
for me last year, I didn't make much decisions, mostly because I only want two things, either go to the best uni in my country or abroad. That's the only decision I had to make. and since the best uni is so hard to apply and no kidding I'm not that brilliant, so I applied there without expecting anything. to tell you the truth, in the end being accepted there would be a nightmare for me. Finally here I am five-thousands miles away from my birthland, and happy.
Enough with my story, I'm here to help you guys to decide things. Whether it's about what do you want to study, where do you want to study, or which university to accept (just for you brainiacs).
First thing to do in making decision is, look inside yourself. Of course I don't mean literally, just look inside your mind, your heart. then, ask this question: WHAT DO I WANT? WHAT DOES MY SELF TELL ME? WHAT IS MY PASSION?
Yes there is this thing called "you can't always get what you wanted" but it does NOT mean that you should not pursue what you wanted. Instead, while pursuing what you wanted you may get what you need. Taking the safe route also is not an answer, I mean, what? you take the safest way now and be spoiled for the next four years and the real world later will eat you alive or dead.
Anyway, my point is, choose what you want most. Most of the people I know REGRET their choice of major, or where they are studying, in the end, they will take another exams, change their major, move to another uni... They don't feel happy by what they chose last year. No offense my friends, but do you want that? a regret? Yes you can still take another exam, IF you are luck enough to be accepted, but if you aren't? All that you do are for YOUR OWN happiness. So, choose what you really want, study what you loves, do what you are passionate about, the rest will come later.
Second, don't twist your undergarments because of another people opinion.
Sometimes you do need other people to keep your feet a little bit on the ground. Listen to their opinion, or maybe just talking to them will make you realize what you actually want. It might also give you some image on how people looks at you. But that doesn't mean that you have to do what other people tell you. WHOEVER they are, remember this: they don't have the reins on you, YOU live your own life. Whether they are parents, annoying family members, your teachers, or your friends... listen but decide which to accept and which to let out from the other ear.
Third, deal with the annoying parents.
The parents who wants their child to live THEIR dreams are (no offense) pathetic. EVERYONE has their OWN dreams. If you didn't get to live on your dreams, are you going to let your child do the same? You (parents everywhere) know exactly how that feels not to choose to be what you want, so don't make your child live with the same mistakes.
Know this, my young friends, your annoying pushy parents behind you are regretting what they didn't choose in their life, and now they are pushing all their dreams to you as if you are their barbie doll. Talk to them, tell them what you really want, and make them realize what is YOUR dream, and what is THEIRS. But if your parents are one of those creepy stoneheaded people, just pray, and do what you want beside what they want you to. KEEP YOUR SELF HAPPY.
Fourth, for those religious friends, pray, in my religion we pray istikharah. Asking the God to help with making decision. It helps, if you are stuck with undecided things, sometimes all you need are praying. In the end God will give you some lights on which road to take, which option to take.

Finally, make that decision.
If you have decided, then live it. Live your dreams, live your life. But remember, keep your heads on your shoulder. In every roads there WILL always be some stones, some nasty thorns, some rains, even thunders, but there will be lights, a good view from time to time, good musics to entertain you, and always there will be a hand to hold, whoever they are.
Also, a friend once told me this: the beauty is on the journey itself, not just the destination.
Don't give up on your dreams. It might take a year, five, or six, or even ten... but believe that you will have it. And you will.

Well then my friends, congratulations and welcome to the new beginning, welcome to the real world of undecided things. And in your life, YOU are the one to decide.

Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment